Sunday, February 20, 2011

Spotting the Carpet...the miracle cleaner!

When we built this house I decided to put light carpet in the living room and upstairs...I do not know what I was thinking! I definitely was NOT thinking about neighbor dogs running in the front door and throwing up on the carpet, baby boys taking off their messy diapers and flinging them across the room, or puppy pee stains. Needless to say, I had tons of spots on the carpet. I had been dying to clean those spots, so I devised a plan...when my sweet husband did the weekly vacuuming, he would put a sticky note on every spot, and I would follow behind him and wash the spots. I will not tell you how many sticky notes we had altogether, but here is a picture of just part of the living room! I was mortified!
I mixed up a gallon of OxyClean Versatile and water in an old jug, according to the directions on the box. I LOVE OxyClean Versatile! It is a miracle worker on stains. At first I used a spray bottle and sprayed each spot, but soon I decided that it was more effective if I poured it on each spot and scrubbed it in with a wash rag. Then I poured vinegar on any spots that I thought were pet related, (the vinegar becomes the human smell, so the dogs won't go back to the spot.) The results were amazing! I tried to take a picture of the clean carpet, but it just looked like carpet! Sorry!
After I cleaned the carpet, I decided to try cleaning a few more things...

The black spot on my son's carpet.
Our poodle who never chews anything up, chewed up a ball point pen on my son's light carpet. The stain was black, and when I poured the OxyClean mix on it, it turned purple. I just walked out of the room and couldn't look at it. Three days later I went back in to look, and the black stain was gone. Two small brown spots remained, but I spotted them again yesterday. I will let you know how it turns out!

My cream colored Pottery Barn-type couch.
I took all of the cushion covers and pillows off of my couch and soaked them in the OxyClean mixture. After soaking them for an hour or so, I popped them in the washing machine. Then I scrubbed the entire couch with more OxyClean mixture. It looks fabulous...no more spots, water marks, or dirt!

No comments:

Post a Comment