Monday, February 21, 2011

Baby Teethers

I have kind of had babies on the brain these days with Kelsie's little chick due soon. I also went to two baby showers last week, so I was looking around for a cute, FAST, and inexpensive idea for a baby gift. I found the pattern and a great tutorial for these owl teethers at The Rubber Punkin.
They can be made from any odds and ends of material that you might have on hand. I made mine from flannel, but they would be fun made from fabrics with a texture too!
I thought they were so cute! I made 6 of them in about one hour.
I did make a couple of little changes to the pattern--
I didn't stuff it, instead I cut one layer of fleece, the same size as the back which I sewed into the seam as I stitched the front and back together. Then I cut a rectangular piece from a Sun Chips bag,(you know how annoyingly noisy they are), and put it inside the owl, to get that crinkling noise that babies love! (You can make about 8 owls from one Sun Chips bag!)
My little grandson LOVES dogs, so I decided to change the pattern a little bit and make him a dog teether!
I simply cut the horns off the owl pattern to make the head. Then I cut two floppy ears which I sewed into the seam. I used the same eye patterns, but added a little blue nose. I left one ear long and bent one ear, which I tacked in place. I think it could be a cute rabbit too, if you left the ears up.
The baby seemed to like it!
Come back tomorrow and we'll have another idea for you!
Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment