Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Chore Chart Ideas

I have had MANY chore charts throughout the years, and all of them have been effective, at least for a while.  My 4 oldest kids are on their own now, but I still have a house full of younger kids, and the chores seem to be as plentiful as they were when all seven kids were at home.  I decided that we needed a new chore chart--something visual, so that at a glance I could tell what was done and what still needed to be done.

I found these glass "drops" at the craft store. 
I had seen them around before, but none that were this big!
I traced around one of the glass discs onto scrapbook paper.  Then I wrote a chore on each circle.  Every child has his/her own color. I glued the paper onto the back of the disc.
Then I hot glued a magnet onto the back of the disc.
I found a bag of about 50 magnets at Home Depot for a couple of dollars.
Then I put the chores up on the fridge.  All the chores start on the left side.  When a chore is finished, the kids move that magnet to the right side.  I can tell very easily what is done and what still needs to be done!

This idea would also work with teaching letters, numbers, or sounds....put 3 letters on the left side and work on those letters several times during the day.  When the child can tell you the letter names all day long, move the letters to the right and add more letters to learn on the left!

I noticed that one of my favorite blogs posted a chore chart this week too!  Head over to eighteen25 to see an online chore chart that you might love!

Tomorrow I will put up my post on Eric Carle.  I will be linking to Helping Little Hands for her March Read Along.  Be sure to check it out!  She will feature at least one children's book per day, and a project for each book.

See you tomorrow!

Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment